Friday, December 7, 2012

49 social

I had been to 49 Social once before, right after it opened, and promised myself I'd never go back. My experience was less than pleasurable, as was the experience of the only other couple in the restaurant at that time...which was seated right next to us. Oops. I lied to myself, I went back.

1
We were planning on going to a nearby pub, but the wait was at least 1 hour...no thanks, I don't do well when I'm hungry and waiting. So for the safety of all in the area, we stumbled into 49 Social. It started off well, people were there, stocking were hung with care, and holiday tunes were spilling out of the speakers.


We were seated in the same area I had been before, under the stairs, nice & cozy. We weren't very hungry as we had just had our hot chocolate at the pop-up a few blocks away, so I went with two apps (the latter being quite large for an app!) and a tasty tasty drink.
 

My first app I had had before, the lobster ravioli with poached lobster tail, crispy leeks, and a lobster cream sauce. I loved the cream sauce and I loved the leeks & the ravioli, but I didn't love the lobster itself. A large hunk of tail meat with a few bits of shell snuck in, I looked past the meat to the rest of the combination that worked very well together.
 

For my second app I went with the braised short-rib sliders on brioche with local aged cheddar, crispy leeks, and a horseradish aioli. Enough of an app for 3...I was very full. Again I was in love with the crispy leeks, and who can say no to aioli? Although tasty & a nice conventional combination, I was uncomfortably full after two app-sized dishes.
 
 

I'll be back for some bar bites, unsure if I'll go for a meal again...but I will go back for the cocktails. Still serving "spring cocktails" I went with the Spring Break, a mix of absolute citron, compari, guava and passion fruit juice, muddled chervil and club soda. A strange combination with the Christmas music playing in the background...I felt like I was on a tropical island...around Christmas time.

1: Boston Eater

  49 Social on Urbanspoon
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment