Monday, May 13, 2013

early summer brussel sprouts & corn

One of the best feelings happens when you throw a bunch of ingredients you like and have on hand together and it actually works out, for once. I got one of those great feelings last night when I made this early summer brussel sprouts & corn sides, which is now one of my absolute favorites and a new go-to side dish. Perfect for a summer cookout, an elegant evening in, or just one day of the week.


Ingredients (for 2 veggie-loving adults, or 4 side-portions):
1 lb brussel sprouts
2 ears of corn, kernels freshly cut off of the cob
3 tbs olive oil, divided
1/2 lemons-worth of juice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper 

Directions:
1. In a large pan heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium-high heat. Cut brussel sprouts in half and add to pan.  Sprinkle with lemon juice, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and generous pinches of salt & pepper.  
 

2. Shake and stir to coat, continue to shake every so often, to enable a caramelized sear but not an over-cook on one side.
 

3. After about 10 minutes (adding more olive oil as needed), when brussel sprouts are browned, soft on the outside, but a bit hard n crunch on the inside, add fresh corn kernels to the pan.
 
 

4. Drizzle 1 tbs olive oil over the corn, sprinkle with more salt & pepper and stir & shake to fully mix.
 

5. Cook altogether for another 5 minutes, until corn is warm but pops to the bite.
 

 

6. Serve warm & enjoy!

Pin It Now!

15 comments:

  1. I make something similar to this and it is amazing! Haven't tried it woth cayenne pepper but definitely will now. I add asparagus to mine and it is out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmm I LOVE asparagus, such as good idea!

      Delete
    2. Does the asparagus need to be cooked first?

      Delete
    3. no, as long as you are cooking it long enough it should soften. if you cook it first it will probably be a bit too mushy

      Delete
  2. That looks wonderful! I think I'll make this tonight and add mushrooms and some red onion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you cut the corn off the cob, does it have to be boiled before added to the pan or can I add it uncooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope! just add it uncooked and it'll soften and cook with the brussel sprouts!

      Delete
  4. Can You Use Frozen Corn?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this tonight. Omg.....so so good! I used a little hot sauce on it because I didn't have cayenne pepper but was still off the chain!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! Now that you've made it once it'll be SO easy for you to whip up again! :)

      Delete
  6. This recipe was very delicious. Love the corn and Brussels sprout combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's still one of my favorites to this day!! :)

      Delete