Saturday, November 17, 2012

lumière

I had been to Lumière once before, a few years ago during restaurant week, but hadn't had the chance to try it on a real night, until tonight. Located in Newton, Lumière (as well as chef/owner Michael Leviton) has been receiving praise since it's opening in 1999. An intimate spot with 65 dining seats, Lumière focuses on locally-sourced ingredients with a mix of classic & modern cooking.


We opened the door with the spoon handle and headed into the warmly-lit inviting restaurant.
 
 
 

For appetizers, my date went with the roasted butternut squash soup with spiced crème fraîche and peppered pumpkin seeds (which she reported was delicious) while I went with the amazing Barnegat Light sea scallops with roasted cauliflower, pine nuts, capers & currants, with a bagna cauda vinaigrette. The scallops were smooth and perfectly prepared while the cauliflower was a perfect partner for the currants.


As mains my date chose the Gloucester swordfish with brussel sprouts, apples & maple-glazed smoked almonds with a sherry brown butter vinaigrette (which she reported was tasty and hearty, and the brussel sprout side was a stand-out star). I went with the roasted Giannone Farm chicken with mashed sweet potatoes (with a bit of brown sugar mixed in), pearl onions & beef bacon and chicken jus. The chicken was perfectly prepared with the sweet potatoes making me excited for Thanksgiving this coming week! 



Heading into dessert I was hoping for an angel food cake or another light option, not chocolate, since I was so stuffed...but then I saw the menu. Within 10 seconds of seeing the menu I knew I had to get the Valrhona Manjari chocolate soufflé cake with a coconut sorbet, candied cashews and a rum caramel. The light but full-flavored coconut sorbet was a nice light & refreshing combination for the rich & intense chocolate cake. With the candied cashews sprinkled about, this dish reminded me of one an upscale version of my favorite candy bar, a Mounds (so I am obviously a huge fan of this dessert)!


I enjoyed a nice cup of Mem mint tea (with a personal timer to let me know when it was ready!) while my friend finished her glass of wine. We headed out into the chilly November night, agreeing to visit again!
 
Lumière on Urbanspoon
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review...the Scallops look amazing!

    ReplyDelete