Wednesday, June 27, 2012

easiest summer dessert...ever

I look forward to receiving my monthly edition of Bon Appétit...but I rarely have the time for one of their creations during the week.  Unfortunately I do not stock items such as chile de árbol , dried hibiscus flowers, or miso paste on a daily basis nor do I have the energy to pop out to the store for an obscure ingredient. 



This month,
Bon Appétit pulled through...in a major way. More than 90% of the recipes in this edition used items I had on hand, and some great simple recipes for summer. My new favorite summer dessert that is unbelievably easy with such a big punch of flavor is the Honey-Lemon Custard with Fruit.


Ingredients (serves 8, halve or quarter appropriately):
 2 cups heavy cream
4 tbsp. honey, divided
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 2" strips lemon peel
6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
1/4 cup light rum
1 cup berries or sliced mango (I used mango)

Directions:
1. Heat cream, 2 tbsp honey, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until beginning to simmer. Cut vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape seeds and add to pot along with pod. Add lemon peel, remove from heat, and let steep for 5 minutes.


2. Remove vanilla bean and peel. Stir in 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice. Divide between ramekins, cover and let chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour (and up to 1 day).




3. While chilling, whisk remaining 2 tbsp honey, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice with rum in a small bowl. Stir in fruit of choice and let sit until juicy (about 1 hour)




4. When you can't wait any longer to eat the custard, remove from the refrigerator and eat along with fruit.


   
The fruit mixture cancels out the sugary custard to create a  happy (and refreshing) union. As we speak I am chilling a custard for a peach and raspberry mix...I obviously could not turn it down!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment